Casting with Caleb
Casting with Caleb was created in memory of our son, Caleb Robert Karnitz, who passed away suddenly on July 30, 2019. Caleb’s passion was fishing and being on the water. Caleb was on the Autism spectrum, and we discovered that being outdoors (in his happy place) was very therapeutic for him. We never saw him so happy! To honor Caleb, we want to provide fishing and boating experiences to children with special needs through this nonprofit foundation.
Casting with Caleb exists to provide fishing and boating experiences to children with special needs, allowing them to experience joy and the healing properties of nature. Casting With Caleb leaves a legacy of caring and demonstrates joy in Caleb’s name.
All children regardless of ability, can experience joy in nature.
Catching fish brings joy and personal accomplishment, leading to increased self-esteem.
- Healing properties of nature
- Education & Learning
- Overcoming adversity/challenges
- Memories help us heal
- Kids are our future
- To provide fishing and boating experiences to children with special needs
- To provide tackle and equipment to sustain fishing and joy beyond scheduled events
- To mentor and role model positive adult interactions with children
- To educate the public on autism and organ donation
- To honor the memory of Caleb Karnitz
- Achieve nonprofit status and tax exemption 501(3)c
- Number of events held
- Number of kids touched/sponsored
- The Board is responsible for overall policy and direction of the foundation and delegates responsibility of day to day operation to the executive director and committees.
- The Board shall have at least 3 members, but not more than 18
- The Board receives no compensation other than reimbursement for reasonable and documented expenses
- All Board members shall serve three-year terms and are eligible for re-election for up to three consecutive terms
- The Board shall meet at least quarterly (may be held remotely)
- A quorum most be attended by at least fifty percent of Board members for business transactions to take place and motion to pass
- There shall be a minimum of 3 officers of the Board (chair, secretary, treasurer)
- Chair: Convene regularly scheduled Board meetings, preside over meetings
- Secretary: Responsible for keeping records of Board actions, including minutes, sending out announcements, sending out minutes and agendas to Board members and assuring records are maintained
- Treasurer: Make a financial report at each board meeting, chair the finance committee, and assist in the preparation of the annual budget, help develop fundraising, make financial information available to the members and public, ensure that appropriate financial records are maintained
- No member of the Board of Directors shall derive any personal profit or gain, directly or indirectly, by reason of his or her services as a Board member with Casting With Caleb
- Members of the Board shall conduct their personal affairs in such a manner as to avoid any possible conflict of interest with their duties and responsibilities as members of the Board.
- When there is a decision to be made or an action to be approved that will result in a conflict between the Board members personal interests and Casting with Caleb, the Board member has a duty to immediately disclose the conflict and abstain from voting on that matter.
- Prohibition against sexual harassment
- Active Participation